- By Samir Hafiz
USA admits guilt over war crimes, but refuses to be punished
A civilian hospital run by charity Medicines Sans Frontiers in the Kunduz region of Afghanistan was bombed in a Nato airstrike on Sunday the 4th October 2015. At least 22 civilians are currently known to have died including doctors, charity workers and the sick.
After initially denying any involvement in the strikes, after pressure from the charity and evidence provided by locals USA has today admitted it carried out the attack, by informed choice.
The US military justified the slaughter of innocent civilians in an outrageous violation of all international laws of warfare by stating:
“We had received intelligence that the hospital was treating a Taliban militant, and as such became a justified target”
The Pentagon chief would not speculate on what occurred but said Washington would hold accountable“anybody responsible for doing something they shouldn’t have done.”
“Relying only on an internal investigation by a party to the conflict would be wholly insufficient,” MSF General Director Christopher Stokes said in a statement.
Medicines Sans Frontiers are pushing international political pressure on the White House allowing for an complete and independent investigation into alleged war crimes.
Currently the USA is only offering an internal investigation into the attack.
The USA military had been engaged in airstrikes and a joint military campaign with the current Afghan government trying to push out Taliban supporters from the city of 300’000 when what is being described as a US plane by many witnesses on the ground hit the hospital.
“Decomposing bodies littered the streets and trapped residents say food was becoming scarce.”