CPS and Met Police ignored concerns as ‘Fake Sheikh’ is finally convicted

  • By Heyami Alghatta

CPS and Police ignored concerns

Siobhain Egan, legal representative for many of the victims of Mazher Mahmood aka The Fake Sheikh, revealed that the CPS and Met Police did not act on frequently raised concerns that Mahmood had falsified evidence and worked with criminals.

Ms Egan is representing six people who are seeking leave to appeal against their convictions, including retired boxer Herbie Hide and former London’s Burning actor John Alford.

Speaking to the BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Ms Egan said Mahmood’s methods had been known for years to the Met police and the CPS. Not surprising considering The International’s very own investigations into evidence tampering by the police themselves and the CPS ignoring such practise.

These methods, according to Ms Egan, included falsifying evidence by splicing video and audio evidence.

“The CPS special prosecution team, as it was then, dealt exclusively with these prosecutions and in my view did not seek to test the weight or the veracity of the evidence. As I say, there was a certain M.O Mahmood would employ. The same assertions were made by reputable defence teams time and again to the CPS, which were ignored. You also have the Met Police. We now know there were internal investigations by the anti-corruption team at New Scotland Yard into Mahmood’s relationships with serving police officers.”

Mahmood was finally convicted on Wednesday for perverting the course of justice. Ten years after George Galloway exposed the true identity of vigilante journalist.

The conviction comes only after the high profile failed entrapment of singer Tulisa Contostavlos. The compensation from Mahmood’s falsified evidence cases is set to dwarf that of the famous phone hacking scandal.

The CPS said defence teams had had the opportunity to raise concerns. These concerns where raised and evidence provided. At no point was this material acted upon.

Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp could face compensation claims that would completely dwarf it’s £330 million bill for phone-hacking, it was suggested. The News Of The World investigations editor, Mahmood, was found to have altered evidence in the infamous collapsed drugs trial of singer and former X Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos. Mahmood’s driver, Alan Smith, 67, was also found guilty of the same charge, following a trial at the Old Bailey.


H.Alghatta@theinternational.org.uk