- By Marc Manfred
An EU wide man hunt is underway after Berlin police identify their prime suspect in the
christmas market attack
- HGV crashes into christmas market in Berlin
- 12 dead many critical in suspected terror attack in Berlin
- Nigel Farage faces legal action over Berlin attack comments
- Police arrest the wrong man in Berlin attack man hunt
A manhunt is under way across the whole of the Europe Union after prosecutors identified a suspect in Monday’s deadly lorry attack on a Berlin christmas market.
German prosecutors named the man they are searching for as Anis Amri, 23 and of Tunisian decent, warning he could be armed and dangerous.
This comes less than 24 hours after the Berlin police admitted they had arrest the wrong man following the release of a Pakistani migrant.
Amri has become the new prime suspect after what is believed to be his residence permit was found in the cab of the HGV.
The suspect had reportedly already come under German intelligence surveillance earlier this year on suspicion of seeking to buy guns.
The German authorities are offering a reward of up to €100’000 (£84’000; $104’000) for information leading to his arrest.
Reports suggest he may have been injured in a struggle with the original Polish HGV driver, found stabbed andshot in the cab with defensive wounds
Arrest warrants have been circulated throughout the EU. Police are searching a migrant shelter in the Emmerich area of North Rhine-Westphalia, western Germany, more than 200 kilometres away, where the suspect’s permit was issued.
Chancellor Angela Merkel has met her security cabinet to discuss the investigation into the attack.
In another development, the German cabinet approved plans agreed last month to allow more video surveillance of public places, after it emerged neither the market nor the area the HGV was hijacked were covered by CCTV.
The warrant lists six different aliases used by Amri, who at times tried to pass himself off intermittently as either an Egyptian or Lebanese documents would suggest.
Amri is reported to have travelled to Italy in 2012 and then on to Germany in 2015 where he applied for asylum and was granted temporary leave to stay in April of this year.
Ralf Jaeger, the minister of interior of North Rhine-Westphalia, said on Wednesday that the claim for asylum had been rejected in June but the papers necessary for deportation had not been ready.
“Security agencies exchanged their findings and information about this person with the Joint Counter-Terrorism Centre in November 2016,” the minister said.
Tunisia, Jaeger said, had denied Anis Amri was its citizen, so the authorities had had to wait for temporary passport documentation from Tunisia. “The papers arrived today from Tunisia,” Jaeger added.
Judicial sources say the suspect was monitored in Berlin between March and September on suspicion of planning a robbery to pay for automatic weapons for use in an attack.
However, the surveillance was lifted due to lack of evidence.
Talk to a journalist:
Web: theinternational.org.uk / IPMGnews.theinternational.org.uk
Tel: (0044) 020 350 70 351
Twitter: @T_International / @IPMGnews
Apple News | Google News | IPMG News | The International Online